Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 1 Dinner


So now for dinner. The kids were very excited they got to eat cooked food! Terrina came in as I was cooking beans to make burritos for Tim and she says "What smells sooo good" I looked at her and slowly said "beans" she started laughing and said "I never thought I would get that excited at the smell of beans". So it looked like I was on my own for dinner. I was "cooking" from the website under "main courses", "Basil Pesto and Zucchini Noodles" only I did not use basil. But she said I could substitute with spinach, so I did. This time I used too much lemon but it was pretty good. I don't think we can judge the taste of the foods today. We will wait until the next time I make these dishes to really get into how they taste when I hopefully don't put to much of anything. I can tell you though I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the zucchini noodles were. I have only ever really liked zucchini fried with egg, crackers, and butter. So I was not to sure about it, but it was very good! Also I had never had pine nuts which were yummy too. I had to keep the bag from the kids or they would have eaten them all. Oh yes I am not a perfectionist as you will soon see so I usually try to find an easy way to do things. In this case I did not want to figure out how to "spiralize the zucchini noodles" so I just put the zucchini in my cheese grater and pushed the button. I could not twist my fork in them but it sure was fast and yummy.
I was using a plastic spoon to get all of the Pesto out of the food processor. Airionna loves licking this spoon (usually with pistachio cake made by Terrina on it). Well she saw the spoon and asked for it. I figured one lick and she would be done. I was wrong. She made that nasty shivery sour look kids get when they suck on a lemon and then she asked to lick the whole spoon! She also shared with Bryce who kept coming back to her for more. She did not stop there though she had me re dip the spoon 3 times. I was shocked! But very pleased. Those are magical spoons:-)
Terrina and Kage shared some with me along with their cooked burritos. Neither complained once, or asked for any more.
Well at the end of the day, Kage and I are just as excited about this venture, Terrina is wishing she had not signed on, Seth is joining in more than expected, and Airionna has shocked me the most with her willing and sometimes eager bites.

1 comment:

  1. Lana, as you all go through this journey if you want you can email me what dishes you plan to be making and I can give small pointers or offer substitutions for some of the items. Just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete